MISS HYBRID'S FORUM

*** WELCOME TO MISS HYBRID'S FORUM WHERE GIMP MASKS ARE NOW OPTIONAL ***
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 882 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 636 Next
PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 7:55 am 
Disciple

Idi Amin ousts Uganda president

General Idi Amin has seized power from President Milton Obote, the man who led Uganda to independence in 1962.

The general led a military coup while the president was out of the country attending the Commonwealth conference in Singapore.

Ugandan troops have sealed off Entebbe airport and there are reports of tanks and soldiers on the streets of the capital, Kampala. The president's residence is said to have been surrounded and major road links have been blocked.

Dr Obote became the country's first prime minister in 1962 at the head of an uneasy coalition between his own Uganda People's Congress and the Kabaka Yekka or King's party representing the Baganda tribe from the largest and richest province of the country.

Sir Edward Mutesa, better known as "King Freddie", became president.

Four years later Obote ousted the king and revised the constitution to make himself president.

General Amin, for seven years heavyweight boxing champion of Uganda, spent most of his army career as a sergeant, but once Dr Obote became president was rapidly promoted to chief of the armed forces.

A broadcast on Uganda radio accused the Obote government of corruption and said that ministers and senior civil servants owned cars, fleets of buses and even aeroplanes.

The broadcast said the army believed President Obote's policies would lead to bloodshed, accusing him of giving preferential treatment to the Lango region in the north of the country.

Cheering crowds were reported in the streets of Kampala after the radio broadcast.

The army has imposed a night-time curfew.

Dr Obote arrived at Nairobi airport in Kenya tonight and was taken immediately to a hotel where he is holding talks with the Kenyan vice president, Arap Moi and the attorney general and foreign minister.

a) After the United Kingdom broke off all diplomatic relations with his regime in 1977, Amin declared he had defeated the British and conferred on himself the decoration of CBE (Conqueror of the British Empire). His full self-bestowed title ultimately became what?
b) Amin was forced to flee into exile in April 1979. Where did he flee to and where did he ultimately settle?
c) Operation Entebbe was a counter-terrorist hostage-rescue mission carried out by commandos of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) at Entebbe Airport in Uganda on 4 July 1976. What was the military codename for the operation?

The UK Top 5 from that same week was:

1. ???
2. I HEAR YOU KNOCKING - DAVE EDMUNDS' ROCKPILE
3. WHEN I'M DEAD AND GONE - MCGUINNESS FLINT
4. RIDE A WHITE SWAN - T. REX
5. I'LL BE THERE - JACKSON 5

Can you identify the No.1 chart topper from these lyrics......

I've been sitting here all day thinking
Same old dream ten years away thinking
Now my days are gone, memories linger on
Thoughts of when I was boy
Penny farthings on the street riding
Motorcars were funny things, frightening
Bow and hoops and spinning tops
Annie gretzel's lollipops
Comic cuts, all different things

So finally......what was the year?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 9:14 am 
Post Whore

Blimey H, that is brilliant. I think I will tweet it in a while... are you on the bike today?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 9:27 am 
Disciple

Quote:
Blimey H, that is brilliant. I think I will tweet it in a while... are you on the bike today?
Just about to get the Lycra on.....

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 9:37 am 
Post Whore

Quote:
Quote:
So you are going back to be then? :egyptian: :ballet:

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 10:29 am 
Acolyte

I would take a guess at 1974 but am really not sure.
I always think of John Bird in connection with Idi Amin

This is a link to the playlist of the whole album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab0K22PJ ... rDhRzT69r2

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 10:36 am 
Disciple

Dear God, I know the lyrics :cry:

It is the all-time classic:

I'm guessing 1971.

a) I remember Idi Amin Dada but I'm sure there was a lot more possibly including President for Life?
b) I know he finally ended up in Saudi Arabia, I think the way station was Libya.
c) Operation Thunderbolt - only because that is the title of the Israeli film about it.

Paul

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 1:15 pm 
Disciple

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you are going back to be then? :egyptian: :ballet:
You've seen the pictures then? :stiffy:

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 1:49 pm 
Disciple

Quote:
Dear God, I know the lyrics :cry:

It is the all-time classic:

I'm guessing 1971.

a) I remember Idi Amin Dada but I'm sure there was a lot more possibly including President for Life?
b) I know he finally ended up in Saudi Arabia, I think the way station was Libya.
c) Operation Thunderbolt - only because that is the title of the Israeli film about it.

Paul
Paul,

I don't know whether I'm impressed or deeply saddened my the fact you know the lyrics!

Grandad by Clive Dunn topped the charts this week in 1971 staying there for three weeks!

b) you have correct - Saudi Arabia via Libya
c) also correct - Operation Thunderbolt

So if anyone still wants a go....we still need the answer to Idi Amin's full self-bestowed title

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 11:40 pm 
Disciple

Quote:
So if anyone still wants a go....we still need the answer to Idi Amin's full self-bestowed title
"His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular"

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 8:38 am 
Disciple

Clinton denies affair with intern

President Clinton has strongly denied allegations that he had an affair with a 24-year-old former White House aide. He also rejected accusations that he asked her to lie about the relationship on oath.

Mr Clinton has come under intense media pressure as rumours circulate that he conducted an 18-month affair with Monica Lewinsky in 1995. Miss Lewinsky, who is currently in hiding, has made no public admission, although it is understood that she has admitted to the relationship on tape.

The president made his categoric denial at a White House news conference today. With his fist clenched and his voice shaking, he said:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time, never. These allegations are false and I need to get back to work for the American people."

Mr Clinton left the room without answering any questions.

First lady Hillary Clinton is said to be in "fighting mood" and has vowed to stand by her husband to save his political career.

The rumours of the affair first surfaced during an investigation into Mr Clinton by Independent prosecutor Kenneth Starr. Mr Starr is understood to be keen for Miss Lewinsky to give evidence before the grand jury about the alleged affair. But the former aide fears she will be prosecuted for perjury if she goes public about the affair as she has already denied it under sworn testimony in a separate sexual harrassment case involving Paula Jones.

a) Which number President was Bill Clinton?
b) Before becoming President, Clinton was the Governor of which State?
c) Clinton became only the second US President to be impeached. Who was the first?

The UK Top 5 from that same week......

1. ???
2. NEVER EVER - ALL SAINTS
3. BAMBOOGIE - BAMBOO
4. NO SURPRISES - RADIOHEAD
5. MY STAR - IAN BROWN

What was the UK No.1? The lyrics are.....

It's a bit early in the midnight hour for me
To go through all the things that I want to be
I don't believe in everything I see
Y'know I'm blind so why d'you disagree
Take me away, cos I just don't want to stay
And the lies you make me say
Are getting deeper every day
These are crazy days but they make me shine
Time keeps rolling by

So...finally....what was the year?

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 9:24 am 
Acolyte

c) must be Nixon.

The music totally stumps me - I can't even remember the other songs in the top 5 there.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 9:31 am 
Disciple

Quote:
c) must be Nixon.

The music totally stumps me - I can't even remember the other songs in the top 5 there.
c) No, not Nixon - Tricky Dicky resigned therefore didn't need to be impeached.

I have to agree, the chart from that week is lacking in timeless quality, although the band (clue there) will be remembered

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 9:32 am 
Post Whore

I have just tweeted for HELP....

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 10:51 am 
Acolyte

b: Arkansas

I think the lyrics are from an Oasis dirge :lala: butt I can't remember which one!

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 2:56 pm 
Disciple

Quote:
I have just tweeted for HELP....
i did not just tweet Miss the answers. if she magically knows them, its because shes so smart and has a sexy body

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 4:22 pm 
Disciple

a) I think he was the 42nd President, only because, rightly or wrongly, I have it stuck in my head that Ronnie was number 40 :dumb:
c) Andrew Johnson.

I'm guessing the year must be 1999.

Paul

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 8:31 pm 
Disciple

So what do we have so far...?

a) Clinton was the 42nd President
b) Clinton was the Governor of Arkansas
c) Andrew Johnson (17th President - and Abraham Lincolns VP when he was assassinated) was the only previous President to be impeached

The UK No.1 during the week we are after was indeed by Oasis - does anyone know which song it was?

Paul was close with the year....but ultimately the wrong one

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 11:05 pm 
Acolyte

OK, I'll try 1998

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 8:17 am 
Disciple

Quote:
OK, I'll try 1998
1998 it was.

And the Oasis song was......'All Around the World'

Right, I'm away next weekend - the tart of the Rugby 6 Nations. I will be able to post the questions but I'm not sure about being able to give the answers until I get home on Sunday

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 8:13 am 
Disciple

1st February ????

Columbia shuttle disintegrates killing seven

The US space shuttle Columbia has broken up as it re-entered the Earth's atmosphere killing all seven astronauts on board. This is the first time there has been an accident on landing in the 42 years of American space flight.

President George Bush told a nation in shock: "The Columbia is lost. There are no survivors."

Six of the seven astronauts were US citizens. They were Rick Husband, William McCool, Michael Anderson, David Brown, and female astronauts Laurel Clark and Indian-born Kalpana Chawla. The seventh - fighter pilot Colonel Ilan Ramon - was Israel's first astronaut and was carrying with him a miniature Torah scroll of a Holocaust survivor.

Columbia disintegrated just 16 minutes before it was due to land at Cape Canaveral in Florida. At 0900 local time (1400 GMT) Mission Control lost all data and contact with the crew. The US space agency Nasa then sent search teams to the Dallas-Fort Worth area amid reports of "a big bang" and TV pictures showing smoke and fireballs in the sky.

In an emotional announcement, Nasa's administrator Sean O'Keefe, said: "This is indeed a tragic day for the Nasa family, for the families of the astronauts and likewise, tragic for the nation." Flags at the Kennedy Space Center have been lowered to half-mast.

Debris from the shuttle is scattered across eastern Texas and western Louisiana and has crashed into car parks, forests, backyards, a reservoir, a rooftop and a dentist's office.

Nasa has temporarily suspended shuttle flights. Shuttle programme manager Ron Dittemore told a news conference in Houston, Texas, "We will not fly again until we have this understood. Somewhere along the line we missed something."

The finger of blame points to a piece of insulating foam from an external fuel tank that hit the shuttle's left wing as it took off 16 days ago. Some experts say this could have damaged tiles that protect the craft from intense heat on re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere. But the lead flight director in mission control, Leroy Cain, assured journalists engineers had concluded any damage to the spacecraft was considered minor.

a) The shuttle was the world's first reusable space vehicle and Columbia was the oldest of the fleet. When did she fly her maiden voyage?
b) Which of her sister ships exploded soon after take-off, killing six astronauts and schoolteacher Christa McAuliffe?
c) In total, there have been six space shuttles. One was only a prototype built purely for approach and landing tests. The others were all fully functional. Can you name all six?

The UK Top 5 selling singles for that same week were…….

1. STOP LIVING THE LIE - DAVID SNEDDON
2. 03 BONNIE AND CLYDE - JAY-Z FEAT. BEYONCE KNOWLES
3. THE OPERA SONG (BRAVE NEW WORLD) - JURGEN VRIES FEAT. CMC
4. YEAR 3000 - BUSTED
5. ???

Can you name the missing song & artist from the lyrics below…..

Disco dancing with the lights down low
Beats are pumping on the stereo
Neighbours banging on the bathroom wall
Your sayin' crank the bass
I gotta get some more

Waters runnin' in the wrong direction
Got a feelin' it's a mixed up sign
I can see it in my own reflection
Summit funnies goin' on inside my mind
Don't know what it's pushin' me higher
It's the static from the floor below
Then its drops and catches like a fire
It's a sound I, it's a sound I know

That was the week that was…..but what was the year?

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 9:06 am 
Disciple

The year I think is 1986

The names of the shuttle craft I can remember are Enterprise, Endeavour and Columbia, I can't think of the others at the moment. :think:

And I'm sure I recognise the lyrics but I can't think what they are.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 9:13 am 
Disciple

Just looking at the music questions and lyrics again, are they the right ones?

I'm not sure Beyoncé was even born then. :think:

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 9:25 am 
Disciple

Quote:

Either my music year is wrong or you've guessed the wrong year...I know what my money is on!

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 9:36 am 
Disciple

Quote:
Quote:

Either my music year is wrong or you've guessed the wrong year...I know what my money is on!
Right year, wrong shuttle but it does give me another shuttle name, Challenger. :fp:

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 9:41 am 
Disciple

In which case the lyrics are Girls Aloud and Sound of the Underground.

Oh dear I'll just :coat: and leave now.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 882 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 636 Next